Thursday, February 21, 2013

February 21, 2013

I don't even know where to start.

I returned to work on February 4th, and was thankfully slammed! It actually felt good to be back.  However, our dear, sweet Peedy Pug's health is failing.  He had been on a steroid therapy for a couple of months, which seemed to be working, but when he stopped wanting to eat, I took him in.  The next course of treatment was not agreeing with him and so we brought him to the hospital. 

His blood work was poor but the Internal Medicine specialist there recommended Prednisone therapy.  However, Peedy's white blood cell count was high so we were given a couple of antibiotics as well.  After a one night stay, we took him home.  His diarrhea became so bad that we had to buy doggy diapers for him.  After a couple of days of that, and with Peedy looking sad, I started accepting that maybe this wouldn't turn around, and that this is not how I want Peedy to live. 

At our re-check on the 20th, the vet said that she felt it was too early for anything final.  That Peedy had gained weight and looked alert and upbeat and adjusted his meds to help with the diarrhea.  The improvements we saw in Peedy were amazing.  He ran to the door when people came over, he followed me around the house again, he didn't have an accident all night, he jumped out of the bathtub... he ate... the list goes on.  Then the vet called today (the 21st) to tell me that his white blood cell count had gone up significantly and was now nearly 4 times what it should be.  Again, we are adjusting his meds and we have a re-check for Saturday.

Peedy is 10 years old.  He has been with me for all but 2 years of my time here in San Diego.  He has weathered many storms with me and has been a constant in my life here in San Diego.  Frankly, I can't imagine my life without him.  I am so grateful for the times we had together, and that I had his companionship for so many years.  I just keep asking God to put his arms around Peedy and to take care of my little man.

These little buddies look at us with their big brown eyes and ask us to take care of them, and that's what Kyle and I are trying to do.  We are constantly administering meds and making sure he's comfortable; it's only been a week of my life and I/we think Peedy deserves that love for all he has given me/us.  There is a chance that he can fight this nasty inflammation (we believe he has IBD - but aren't going to pay $2,000 for a biopsy to confirm), and we are holding onto that chance.  When our efforts just can't overcome the disease, then we will find peace in a difficult decision.

But Peedy Pug, you are so very special.  Thank you.





No comments:

Post a Comment