Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Medical Update - December 24th

Had an ophthalmology appointment today.  Ashlyn's pressure is in the normal range in her right eye now and it looks like it's healing great! We were elated when we heard that news, only to be brought back down by the doctor telling us that we will have many, many follow up appointments to check the pressure and that this surgery probably will not be enough. Ugh!

We were also given new meds... double ugh. The doctor we typically see was not in, so our appointment was with the Chief of the department.  He had some tweaks to the medication which is all fine, however at $10-$60 a prescription (depending on what it is) this changing of meds is getting expensive!  In Ashlyn's 2 little months of life she's been on 3 meds to alleviate the pressure and now 5 different meds to bring the pressure up.  Our next appointment is January 2nd, it'll be interesting to see what happens then!

As I am sure most of you can relate, Kyle and I are both used to going to the doctor when something is wrong, and after taking the appropriate actions to get better, returning for a follow up to hear that everything looks great. I think this mentality is part of the reason Kyle and I have been continually disappointed after each of Ashlyn's doctor appointments.  It seems that we get a new course of medication and instructions at each visit.  I suppose a change in mentality going into these appointments is critical to maintain our sanity!

No comments:

Post a Comment