Tuesday, November 27, 2012

One Month Check Up

Ashlyn's one month check up was great.  She's 8lbs, 2ozs (15th percentile), and 19.25 inches (3rd percentile).  We were told that Ashlyn's sleep/awake schedule seems to be normal for newborns.  We were unsure whether or not the Phenobarbital was responsible for her sleepiness.  As she gets older I suppose any effect will become more apparent.

I have read and been told about the importance of playing with your baby for their development.  I laughed at myself the other night when Ashlyn was wide awake at 3am after eating.  I immediately broke out the play mat and ran her through all of the things to see.  Then I broke out the "tummy time" mat and worked with her there. I definitely take direction very well.  So when I heard that this play time is key, I was a little anxious to begin... and she sleeps ALL OF THE TIME! 

Our pediatrician encouraged "tummy time" but laughed when I told her about my 3am educationpalooza.  She assured me that sleep was ok. Noted. :)  So now we do the play mat and tummy time when time allows, and read lots and lots of stories!  I think a book called Raising a Child for Accountants sounds like a great project for me!

On another note, someone asked me about pictures.  I've never been a great picture taker.  I suppose I like to live in the moment rather than experience it through the lens of a camera.  I also tend to be the one to think to grab the camera which is why you see a lot of Ashlyn and Kyle.  Maybe I should hire a family photographer to follow us around.  But we do want to make sure we capture these moments, so we will try to be a little more cognizant of taking pictures! Our xmas present to ourselves this year is a new camera so hopefully that will also encourage more picture taking.

As for the Peedsters, I am picking up steroids for him today.  The pharmacist asked me what flavor to make it; Kyle thought I was ordering dinner!  We administer them via syringe, which we already do 4 times/day for Ashlyn.  So now we add Peedy's meds to our daily routine.  Hopefully these do the trick; the pharmacist seemed very confident.


No comments:

Post a Comment