After talking with other new moms, I thought I would prepare the moms-to-be
for something that is not mentioned in the books (at least the ones I read) and
share how Kyle and I are trying to manage life with baby. I know that I never understood how much a baby changes someone's life. No matter how many people said just that, I couldn't wrap my brain around how much things could really change-and just thought they were making excuses. I couldn't have been more oblivious.
I want to make it clear that WE
ARE NOT COMPLAINING. I absolutely love
my new role as mom, and Kyle as dad. I love my
routine. I love that I am a slave to the
clock and spend 80% of my day on our couch taking care of Ashlyn. I do get stir crazy sometimes, but after a
walk or little outing I am rejuvenated.
Feeding. Due to nursing difficulties, I am
pumping. I pump every three hours or
so. Sometimes I even feed her, then pump
– a process that can take at least an hour, only to be repeated in two
hours. Who knew this would be so involved? Oh yeah, and of course Kyle and I need to eat too...
Sleeping. What is the
ONE piece of advice that EVERYONE gives you when you have a baby?? Sleep when
the baby sleeps. Doing that, however,
does not allow for doing dishes, laundry or just picking up the house, or
cooking (nursing moms need to eat 500 extra calories a day) or just getting out of the house! Therein the benefit of our current situation. Because I am not nursing, I am lucky that Kyle can help with the feeding
routine, allowing us both to get some sleep.
I found initially that 4 hours a day was enough, but I am now trying to
get 6-8 however I can get it. We try to
schedule visitors/errands/outings around our sleeping times (and feeding times and med times).
Bonding.
We need time to bond with our new baby.
Yes, we are with her all day, but we want more time with her when she's awake other than just during feeding times. We cannot get enough of this little girl. While I am anxious to get back to
my co-workers and even back to the grind after the New Year, I am definitely
not looking forward to leaving Ashlyn for 9 hours a day. Thankfully she will be in the best of care
with Dad when he's home and when he's working, her Grandmama; but of course I would rather be home
to care for her.
When I do go back to work I will
only have 2 days a week with her, and with Kyle’s schedule, we will have ONE
weekend a month together as a family.
This time is so special to us and so important for Ashlyn's development, which was something I never thought about.
Transporting: A quick run to Starbuck's or the grocery store isn't so quick anymore. In reality, putting her in her car seat and tucking her in with blankets and putting the car seat in the car adds 5 minutes to an errand... but it sometimes is enough to deter us from any unnecessary trips out. Especially for those "quick" runs to the grocery store when you have to get out of the car!! I took my first trip to Fresh & Easy last night. I'm not sure how you put an infant car seat in the grocery cart? I put her in the main basket, but that won't work if I need to buy a lot of stuff. Then loading and unloading the car is a whole other process. Again, the little things that I never thought about.
So there's a bit of our daily routine and the challenges that we have and continue to tackle with a newborn.
Transporting: A quick run to Starbuck's or the grocery store isn't so quick anymore. In reality, putting her in her car seat and tucking her in with blankets and putting the car seat in the car adds 5 minutes to an errand... but it sometimes is enough to deter us from any unnecessary trips out. Especially for those "quick" runs to the grocery store when you have to get out of the car!! I took my first trip to Fresh & Easy last night. I'm not sure how you put an infant car seat in the grocery cart? I put her in the main basket, but that won't work if I need to buy a lot of stuff. Then loading and unloading the car is a whole other process. Again, the little things that I never thought about.
So there's a bit of our daily routine and the challenges that we have and continue to tackle with a newborn.
No comments:
Post a Comment